14 stations way of the Cross – Via Dolorosa Jerusalem
The Via Dolorosa (“Via Della Rosa”) also known as Jesus Way of the Cross and 14 stations of the Cross rout is one of the most important and meaningful Holy Land attractions to worldwide Christians,
Crusaders and Pilgrims who have been following this path since early ancient days. The path has been changed over the history, but the spiritual tradition remained. The way of the cross – Via Dolorosa marks Jesus path after being convicted by Pilate.
During History, the way of the cross 14 stations via dolorosa have been changed several times, in the 8th century the starting point was The Garden of Gethsemane, at the 14th century the beginning was the church of the Holy Sepulchre and today the starting point as the Lion’s gate in the Muslim Quarter, but it’s possible to state that the exact location of each station is less important but the spiritual impact counts. The Stations of the Cross pass through Jerusalem old city streets, crowded souvenir shops, markets and snack bars. click here for Jerusalem’s Top Churches tour. and the route of 14 Stations of the Cross up to his Crucifixion and Burial.
The Via Dolorosa – 14 stations of the Cross, Traditional forms are:
- Jesus is Condemned to Die.
- Jesus is made to Bear His Cross.
- Jesus Falls the First Time
- Jesus Meets His Mother
- Simon Helps Jesus Carry His Cross
- Veronica Wipes Jesus’ Face
- Jesus Falls the Second Time
- Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem
- Jesus Falls the Third Time
- Jesus is Stripped.
- Jesus is nailed to the Cross.
- Jesus Dies on the Cross
- Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross.
- Jesus is laid in the Tomb.
- Some traditions include the Resurrection of Jesus as the 15th station.
- Click here for Way of the Cross Crafts and Souvenirs originally from the Holy Land.
Stations of the Cross pictures and images:
Old signs of the 5th Station of the Cross, Jerusalem Via Dolorosa
Ancient cross marks and signs of the 6th Station of the Cross, Jerusalem Via Dolorosa
The Via Dolorosa 14 Stations of the Cross Jerusalem map:
Along the Stations of the Cross and in the Old City, you can find many stands and stores offering Holy Land Christian Souvenirs, Gifts and Crafts marking the way of the Cross.