Nazareth Holy Land Jesus Christ Hometown
Nazareth is one of the Holy Land’s most sacred Christians sites, as Jesus Christ hometown, Nazareth had a key role in Jesus of Nazareth (The king of the Jews) lifetime, teachings and footsteps. At ancient Jesus times, Nazareth was a small tiny village in the area of Jezreel Valey (Western Galilee area). Nazareth is located approximately 88 miles north to Jerusalem and can be also seen from Mount Tabor.
Nazareth has been a top site for worldwide Christian Pilgrims and Crusaders, the first pilgrims have been visiting Nazareth since the 4th century. The fact that Nazareth top and main attractions and sites are very close to each other allows the tours, crusades and pilgrims to visit the main top Christian sites in Nazareth in one fascinating – Jesus footsteps – day tour.
Nazareth town is very colorful, vivid and noisy. Although it was a small poor village in Jesus Christ life time- today it is the home of more than 65,000 citizens, ethnic fabulous blend of Christians, Muslims and Jews, Nazareth is without a doubt a special top holy land attraction.
The top Christian sites in Nazareth are The Basilica of the Annunciation (Jesus Birth announcement), the Greek Orthodox Church, traditional biblical sites, Mary’s well and Byzantine sites and ruins.
Nazareth in the Bible and Gospel:
It is in Nazareth where the angel Gabriel announced Mary that she would give birth to the son of God, Jesus Christ.
“Rejoice, you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women! Don’t be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bring forth a son, and will call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father, David“. (Luke 1:26-38)
Nazareth, in Hebrew נָצְרַת = Netzer = נצר = branch – may be referred as some scholars claim Jesus Christ to be the heir and successor of the Kingdom of David as written in prophets.
Nazareth top sites and attractions – what to see:
- The Basilica Modern church of the Annunciation – The Catholic church stand where according to the tradition Gabriel announced the birth of Jesus of Nazareth to Mary, the Basilica of the Annunciation is built over ancient Byzantine ruins. The church have floors and gardens and host many holy shrines within its area.
- The Basilica of the Annunciation hosts a wonderful collection of Worldwide Christian Mosaics presenting the story of Jesus, Mary, Gabriel announcement, each country from all over globe sent its unique artistic mosaic.
- Mary’s Well – believed to be the core of the old Nazareth biblical village where Jesus and Mary drew water when they all lived in Nazareth village.
- The Greek Orthodox Church - The Church of Saint Gabriel – In the orthodox Church of the Annunciation in Nazareth includes the holy crypt. According the Greek orthodox church this was the place where virgin Mary was announced by the Angel Gabriel that she will give birth to the Son of God. This holy crypt was built on the spring in the year 326 A.D during the Emperor Constantine’s period. The Greek Orthodox and the Basilica (catholic) of the Annunciation are both located near each other and claim to be the authentic Announcement spot, since they are very close one to another, walking through the streets of old Nazareth connect the two Churches.
- Coffee shops, Bakeries (pastries)and Souvenir shops If you visit Nazareth and you have some free time you must taste local Arabic coffee blends in the street stands or buy a local Pitta bread in local bakeries, The spices smell in the air, sounds and sights of Nazareth noisy, crowded, streets holds unique experience on top your sacred sites tour.
Nazareth Christian Holy Sites Map:
This Map of Nazareth presents the main sites, attractions and churches you will want to visit, marked in Blue are the 3 main Nazareth sites that are listed above, all of them are close to each other and it is highly recommended to visit Jesus footsteps.
The Star marks the Central spot of the Basilica of the Annunciation.
Nazareth Ancient Holy Land pictures & Photos:
These amazing ancient photos of Nazareth were taken and published between 1890-1905
Nazareth Top Sites and the Basilica of the Annunciation Images, videos and pictures:
At Nazareth two amazing sacred churches are standing side by side, the Catholic Basilica of the Annunciation and the Greek orthodox Church (several minutes walk from one to another).
During my last visit at the city of Nazareth & Cana wedding wine miracle Church near Nazareth (August 2011) I took some new photos, videos and images, at the Basilica of the Annunciation you can see a huge selection of wonderful Christian Icons donated by dozens of countries around the world as you can view below – enjoy!